Monday, August 26, 2002

Apparently, there's a movement afoot to designate the first car of each subway train the "singles" car. This means that if you exchange apparently meaningful glances with a handsome (or winsome) stranger in the first car of the train, you should feel confident that you can approach that person to initiate a conversation, without fear of rejection. [Read the article here]

I can only speak for myself, the father of a nine-month old baby and happily married to his mother for seven years: I ride in the front car of the train because that's where the seats are. Statistically speaking, subway trains are like bell curves -- thinly populated at either end and bulging in the middle. I am travelling with an infant in a stroller, I get tired, and I want to sit down, dammit. Not to metion, have you ever tried to give a bottle to a baby seated in a stroller while standing up in a lurching subway train and trying to hold on to the overhead bar, your briefcase and the stroller? It ain't easy.

Most likely, if I'm giving you a meaningful glance, it's because I am gazing longingly at your seat, hoping against hope that you're getting off at the next stop so I can sit down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home