Tuesday, August 26, 2003

As you may know, as a litigator, I spend a fair amount of time writing. I look for neat turns-of-phrase or ways to make arguments that will, by force of their eloquence, impress themselves on my reader, and make that person disposed to give my client what it wants. Needless to say, it's not easy. Every so often, however, I find in my everyday life (that is, when I'm not trying) that I have written something, that, when I reread it, surprises me with its eloquence. Since I'm not sure who is reading my blog anymore, I am taking the liberty to both sing my own praises and the praises of my subject, Sam. This example came from an email I sent to a friend catching up after a long time of not being able to chat...

But lest I sound like all doom-and-gloom, I should say affirmatively that Sam is a wonderful child who constantly reminds me what a privilege it is to be a father. In a million ways large and small, he is helping me rediscover the wonders of childhood (like waving at passing motorcyclists and shouting "Vroom Vroom" or running around in circles endlessly until we
collapse, dizzy and out of breath, but feeling great) and discover for the first time what it is to be totally and unconditionally loved. I can't even begin to describe the wonder and joy of it all. Among Sam's latest accomplishments are the ability to charm merchants into giving him things for free (and not just cheap things, either -- the other day, it was a ten-dollar puzzle that he managed to wangle for free!), a vocabulary that is growing by leaps and bounds, and the ability to tell me what he likes and doesn't like. The developing child is simply a marvel. Sam is even more marvelous because he's my boy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home