Thursday, October 23, 2003

The Patriot Act contains a provision that allows the FBI to review what any of us are purchasing in bookstores and borrowing from libraries. Civil libertarians have denounced the provision, and the ACLU and others have challenged it in court.

The problem with protesting this provision is how to do it -- I don't own a bookstore and I'm not a librarian, so effective civil disobedience isn't really an option. I suppose I could limit my bookstore purchases to cash, thereby eliminating any paper trail, but that makes it seem like I have something to hide, and besides, it's not a very public form of protest.

So instead, I have decided to beat the Bush administration at its own game: I will voluntarily reveal all of the subversive books that I have purchased or read recently (in no particular order):

The Prize, by Daniel Yergen
The War on the Bill of Rights and the Gathering Resistance, by Nat Hentoff
Dude, Where's My Country, by Michael Moore
Lies (and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them): A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right, by Al Franken
The Great Unraveling: Losing Our Way in the New Century, by Paul Krugman
Thinking it Through: An Introduction to Contemporary Philosophy, by Kwame Anthony Appiah
September 11: An Oral History, by Dean E. Murphy
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, by J.K. Rowling
Titan: the Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr., by Ron Chernow (still working on it)
It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life, by Lance Armstrong
Pipe Dreams: Greed, Ego and the Death of Enron, by Robert Bryce
Rich Dad, Poor Dad: What the Rich Teach Their Kids About Money That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not, by Robert T. Kiyosaki (with Sharon L. Lechter, CPA)
The Fight Is for Democracy: Winning the War of Ideas in America and the World, Edited by George Packer
A Peace to End All Peace, by David Fromkin

Remember me after I'm arrested.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home