Tuesday, February 24, 2004

First they came for the Jews...

So now President Bush wants a constitutional amendment barring gay marriage or civil unions. What ever happened to the traditional conservative notion of "that government governs best that governs least"? And what about "states' rights"? I guess they're okay as long as the state wants to discriminate against "those people", but as soon as the states want to do something progressive, states' rights be damned, we need a federal constitutional amendment!

But all sarcasm aside, this proposal is an affront to all Americans, not just those who are gay or lesbian (and I am neither, by the way). The proposed amendment classifies a distinct group of Americans and then attempts to systematically strip them of rights because of that status.

To which I say, not in my America! Not in my name and not by wrapping yourself in my flag! This is not the America that I grew up in, that I was taught to revere, or that I want my son to inherit. I will not stand for it.

And if you don't think that you need to be worried about this, consider the Rev. Martin Neimoller, who spent almost 8 years in concentration camps for his outspoken opposition of Nazi Germany. He said this:

In Germany they first came for the Communists
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Catholics
and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up.

First it was Muslim (and Muslim-sounding) immigrants who were rounded up en masse after September 11 who were denied their civil rights. Then it was Jose Padilla, an American citizen who is languishing in prison despite having been arrested on American soil, and despite having never been charged with any crime. Now it's gays and lesbians.

Who's next? Me?

You?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home