Wednesday, September 18, 2002

Overheard on the subway:

The players: two twenty-something men. The speaker was dressed in a t-shirt that said "D&E Carpets" on the front. The back said "Carpet Layers Do It on the Floor"

The scene: the 6 train, going uptown. The two men are discussing a conversation with a mutual acquaintance; the carpet guy did all the talking.

"So she's telling me all about her day. First she goes to class and then she works the rest of her day at some think tank writing position papers on American foreign policy. Then at night, she still has to do all her homework. So she's like, she's all tired and falls into bed at night. I was like, that's totally different from my college experience. Mine involved sleeping through my first class, which was okay because it was just a lecture. Then maybe I went to my second class. By then, I was so confused, I'd come home and just get high and then go to sleep."

I confess, it's hard to imagine how this studious fellow could have ended up as a carpet-layer and wearing a t-shirt that said "Carpet Layers Do It on the Floor". Still, I had to wonder who this mystery woman was, how she got to be so cool, and why she's hanging around this dweeb.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home