Wednesday, July 02, 2003

The following open letter was written by my wife to the Democratic National Committee. I think you'll agree that it's a clarion call for change in the Democratic Party's status quo. Enjoy.

To Whom It May Concern:

I am the kind of person the DNC should be reaching out to. I am a 32-year-old lawyer in New York City with a family income well over $300,000 -- and climbing. I have never voted Republican, and I always vote. I am a firm patriot and I hold strong political convictions that match the historic fundamental beliefs of the Democratic party. But until this year, with one exception during the first Clinton campaign, I have never been politically active: I have never campaigned, I have never contributed money to a campaign, a PAC or the party, and I have never so much as told others how I thought they should vote. This is not because I am ungenerous --I have donated to, and volunteered for, charitable organizations -- but because I am disaffected.

Why? Because the Democratic party keeps putting up uninspiring leaders, dodging hard questions and running from its historic beliefs. I haven't felt like supporting this party. I have simply been silent, passive, and disillusioned.

So why am I getting active enough to write to you now? Because Howard Dean and his grassroots campaign inspire me. I'm giving money -- and in my case, it's much more than the $100 or so that his average supporter has given. It's not just the money, though -- I'm finding time to volunteer, I'm telling friends about this candidate and asking them to donate money, and I'm paying attention again to what is going on in our country. Suddenly I believe again that it is critically important to defeat George Bush and the Republican party. By contrast, in the last election and the intervening two years I didn't care very much about beating the Republicans because I frankly didn't see much of a difference between the two parties.

Howard Dean is different. He says the things that other Democrats seem afraid to say. He stands up for the principles I believe in, and he inspires me to stand up for him.

I am writing now to tell you that the Democratic party needs people like Howard Dean if it wants to energize its supporters. And by supporters, I mean ALL kinds of supporters: voters and volunteers, but also those who can produce money for the campaign. I, and my liberal friends who are rising professionals in New York, are among the very core of the group you should be targeting to give you the Triple Crown -- voting, volunteering and contributing -- of support that you need. The only candidate I know who has been able to energize me and my peers in the last ten years is Howard Dean.

I will not support a party that does not stand on its principles. (Republican-lite has become a catch-phrase, but I view it as a pretty good description of candidates that the DNC is supporting.) I will support a party that differentiates itself from the Republicans and takes strong stands even at the risk of being unpopular among Republican supporters. It's that simple, folks.

Sincerely,
Natasha Labovitz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home