Monday, July 26, 2004

Songs of Boston


So I'm sitting here watching the Democratic Convention in Boston, and I suddenly had the thought -- there are no good songs about Boston. About the only one I can come up with is "Charley on the MTA", a song that was written in 1949 for the campaign of Walter A. O'Brien, the Progressive Party candidate for Boston mayor. [A side note -- during the 1950s, the Progressive Party and any associated with it were presumed to be Communists. Although O'Brien was never himself a Communist, when the Kingston Trio recorded the song, just to be safe, they changed "Walter A" to "George" so that no one would accuse them of advertising for Commies. (special thanks to Discover Newbury Street for the history lesson).] The only other one I could think of was "Rock and Roll Band" by the band Boston.

In any event, neither of them are particularly adaptable songs that a political party could use the way that any number of New York songs could be adapted to the Republican convention's needs in New York, or, for that matter, the way that "Georgia on My Mind" was adapted for the Carter campaign in 1976. [For the record, there is also a Tom Lehrer song about the Boston MTA [link], but it's not very flattering, either.]

I'm taking votes, by the way, for good Boston songs that the Democrats could use to send the delegates home humming. Anyone?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charley on the MTA was an old camp favorite, in southern New Hampshire - where half the camp was New Yorkers and half the camp was Boston (too bad 1978 was my last summer there; it would have been nice to have returned the next year just to see the Red Sox fans after the Bucky Dent game).

MOTHER, on the other hand, was spoofed at my first firm's (now long gone) annual dinner:

M is for the midnight oil I'm burning
O is for the odds against a slot [at partnership]
T is for the tidy sum I'm earning
H is for the home life I ain't got
E is for the endless minor changes
R is for the rarely final draft

Put them all together they spell "Mother"
which is only half of what you mean to me!

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home